How to Apply
Application Deadline for Fall 2019: January 15, 2019
The application deadline for students who would like to begin our graduate program in Fall 2019 is January 15, 2019.
The UF Admissions web page provides information on UF requirements and procedures, and has a link to the admission forms.
You can apply online or by mail. An application must be submitted online to the University of Florida Graduate School AND an application packet containing the information in the checklist below must be mailed to the Department of Geological Sciences.
During the application process, be sure to write down your UFID number. You can use that to check on your application status. You will need your UFID to get a Gatorlink address for the log-in.
- Access the online application:
UF Graduate Online Application
- Create an application name and password. You will be able to return to this site to add or change information before you submit your application. When all the information is complete, press submit.
- You will need three letters of recommendation from people who can evaluate your potential to succeed in graduate studies. Instructions for online submittal of recommendation letters will be given to you as part of the application process, or recommendation forms can be accessed as a PDF file:
Letter of Recommendation Form (PDF)
Paper forms should be mailed to the department: ATTN: Graduate Program Assistant, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Florida, 241 Williamson Hall, P.O. Box 112120, Gainesville, FL 32611-2120). Individual letters of recommendation will also be accepted (the form is not required). If recommendation letters are submitted online, you do not need to mail copies to the department.
- Submit a two-page personal essay. This essay should describe your reasons for undertaking graduate study in the geological sciences, your planned area of research, relevant previous experiences, and future career plans. This can be submitted online or mailed to the department.
- Be sure to print copies for your files.
- Make sure you pay the $30 fee. If you don’t, your application will not be processed by the University and your materials will not be forwarded to the department for evaluation.
- You must also order official GRE scores from ETS and have them sent directly to the University AND the Department of Geological Sciences. You cannot be admitted to the program without the University receiving official notice of your GRE scores. Institution code for UF: 5812. Department code for geology (0504).
- International students whose native language is not English are required to have TOEFL scores sent directly to the University and the Department of Geological Sciences
- Order official transcripts from all your school(s) and have them sent to the University of Florida Office of Admissions. If you are attending a foreign university, you must submit transcripts and degree/diploma statement(s) both in the native language AND with an official English translation (if applicable). Please send copies of the transcripts to the Department of Geological Sciences.
Checklist of items to be sent to the Department:
Mail to: Graduate Program Assistant, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Florida, 241 Williamson Hall, 1843 Stadium Road, Gainesville, FL 32611.
- A copy of your application.
- If you want to be considered for financial support (TA, RA or Fellowship) you must fill out the Fellowship and Assistantship Application form, and mail to the Department.
Fellowship and Assistantship Form (PDF)
C. Copies of transcripts and test scores. IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEND YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS TO THE DEPARTMENT — THEY MUST BE SENT TO THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA GRADUATE ADMISSIONS OFFICE (see #9 above).
D. If not submitted online, at least 3 letters of recommendation and your personal essay.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JANUARY 15, 2018 FOR STUDENTS
WHO WANT TO BEGIN OUR GRADUATE PROGRAMS FALL 2018.