How to Apply
Application Deadline for Fall 2021: January 15, 2021 for students who wish to matriculate for Fall Semester 2021
The UF Admissions web page provides information on UF requirements and procedures and has a link to the admission forms.
You can apply online or by mail.
The Graduate Admissions Committee in our Department considers prior research experience, strong letters of recommendation, excellent performance in undergraduate STEM education, and well-developed writing skills to be essential for success in our graduate program. Performance on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is secondary.
An application must be submitted online to the University of Florida Graduate School.
During the application process, be sure to write down your UFID number. You can use that to check on your application status. You will need your UFID to get a Gatorlink address for the log-in.
- Access the online application:
UF Graduate Online Application
- Create an application name and a password. You will be able to return to this site to add or change information before you submit your application. When all the information is complete, press submit.
- You will need three letters of recommendation from people who can evaluate your potential to succeed in graduate studies. Instructions for online submittal of recommendation letters will be given to you as part of the application process, or recommendation forms can be accessed as a PDF file:
Letter of Recommendation Form (PDF)
Paper forms should be emailed to the department: ATTN: Graduate Program Assistant: email@example.com Individual letters of recommendation will also be accepted (the form is not required).
- Submit a two-page personal essay. This essay should describe your reasons for undertaking graduate study in the geological sciences, your planned area of research, relevant previous experiences, and future career plans.
- Be sure to print copies for your files.
- Make sure you pay the $30 fee. If you don’t, your application will not be processed by the University and your materials will not be forwarded to the department for evaluation.
- You must also order official GRE scores from ETS and have them sent directly to the University. You cannot be admitted to the program without the University receiving official notice of your GRE scores. The institution code for UF: 5812.
- International students whose native language is not English are required to have TOEFL scores sent directly to the University and the Department of Geological Sciences
- Order official transcripts from all your school(s) and have them sent to the University of Florida Office of Admissions. If you are attending a foreign university, you must submit transcripts and degree/diploma statement(s) both in the native language AND with an official English translation (if applicable).
Checklist of items to be sent to the Department:
Email to: Graduate Program Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you want to be considered for financial support (TA, RA, or Fellowship) you must fill out the Fellowship and Assistantship Application form, and email to the Department.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEND YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS TO THE DEPARTMENT — THEY MUST BE SENT TO THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA GRADUATE ADMISSIONS OFFICE (see #9 above).
If not submitted online, at least 3 letters of recommendation and your personal essay.